Wednesday, October 3, 2012

VeganMoFo #3: Beer Bread


Most of last weekend was spent walking around the neighborhood, and we made an afternoon pitstop at a cute little bottle shop that recently opened up a few blocks from home. I had my first pumpkin ale of the season, and we came home with a bottle of The Bruery’s Autumn Maple beer for later. I was lured in by the ingredients: yams, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, vanilla, molasses, and maple syrup. Hello, fall.


I was excited to taste this autumnal elixir (it's gooood!) but even more excited to try it in beer bread. Here goes...

  • 1 cup unbleached white flour
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 4 ½  teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 ½ teaspoons salt
  • ¼ cup packed brown sugar (I used a bit less since this particular beer is so sweet)
  • 1 ½ cups of delicious, seasonal beer (room temperature)

Mix everything together. Knead it for a bit. Place dough in a greased bread pan. Let rise for 30 minutes or so (apparently this is unnecessary, but I wanted to make sure the bread wasn’t too dense). Bake for an hour at 350 degrees.

The house smelled like a heavenly mixture of baking and brewing while this was in the oven. And it tasted equally heavenly warm from the oven.
The bread is sweet enough to eat alone, but still savory enough for sandwiches. I love how quick and easy it was to make. And how it does not help me justify buying bread from the store. A++. Will make again.

4 comments:

  1. Beer bread is awesome! I should try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the recipe; I'm making this tonight to go with a split pea soup dinner :) Sadly, not the same beer, though, that sounds even better than what we have around.
    -Martha

    ReplyDelete